Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Fall is Autumn

I don't think my last post was that long ago, but somehow I have a lot to talk about. Better than nothing.

So this is the first fall that I can remember that I am not returning to school. I must say that the transition went smoothly, but it still remains a bit jarring. When you know people that are going back to a world of exams and silly parties and free events, it puts your own life in perspective, in the sense that you ask yourself if you miss it all. As of now, I can't say that I do, though more than one person has told me this eventually change. I don't see it though. I have a theory on this - the people that tell me most enthusiastically that I will miss college are the ones that had zero responsibility outside of graduating. People that didn't even have to pay a measly cell phone bill in all of their lives. For them, the small tidbits of responsibility in college is enough. These people have had mom and dad write all the checks out for them, and they don't like having to do it for themselves. I guess when you were writing checks to mom and dad before you were old enough to relieve your minimum wage job with smooth relaxing cigarettes, it isn't quite the tough pill to swallow. I never lived the real world life in college, but I came close one summer, and it was enough to make me want the whole damn thing, to be completely in control of my life. It has its ups and downs, but its working.

Back to being out of school - you really don't notice it too much. You're so ingrained into your new life and schedule that you forget about the old transitions you used to have to make. If anything, you start to take in and appreciate the change in season more than you used to, and that is quite nice.

My job gave me business cards. Apparently my title is "Software Engineer" This is alarming - I would have accepted "Programmer" or "Code Monkey" or "What the fuck does he do?" Software Engineer seems too fancy, at least until I have more experience.

Still doesn't hurt when trying to impress business types who don't know better.

I had a block party on my street last weekend, and it was quiet impressive. Who knew how much better beer pong was when played on a city street at midnight.

I have also acquired a copy of the Dreamcast version of Ikaruga. I have been waiting years to play this, and while I am embarrassed to be so late to the party, it is everything I had hoped it would be and more. It looks like a dream, and while I can't even beat the damn thing yet I can aleady see how deep it is. This little shooter may take up all of my game time until Halo 3, and even then I'm not sure what will happen.

I am really sad that Colin McRae has died. Watching the man was a treat, and he made WRC the only racing event I could stomach. He will be sorely missed, and I really wish more news outlets in the states gave the story coverage. He wasn't a household name in America, but the man excelled at multiple types of vehicles and races. We might be infatuated with NASCAR, but McRae was a special kind of talent that any race fan can appreciate.

My Mets cap has some wire mesh poking out on the inside, and rubbing it against my head caused several noticeable (but not deep) scratches in my forehead! No one has said anything about them, but that just might be because they don't know what to make of it. It looks like I took out my rage on my wall of a forehead, which makes no sense. Hopefully they'll heal soon. In the meantime, I have electrical tape on the inside of the cap to cushion. It feels really nice now, to the point where I don't want to replace it. I really, really should though. Guess you can't part with something you hold so dear. Rest assured I won't get any replacement until I'm back in New York. Then I'll have to break it in so drunk people want to steal it.

On a final note, I have to introduce everyone to a new member of the family -

I still have to test it actually, as I know it has disc read errors. Even if it runs with issue, this gives me a chance to play some absolute classics. I'm proud to add one more notch in my Sega belt. Now to find a copy of Christmas Nights...

No comments: