Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Pink Floyd

In some cases, getting into a classic rock band is a straightforward process. You hear a couple of tunes you enjoy, do some research to find out which album people consider the best (or at least the best to start with), and check it out. If you like it, you do some more research and add to your collection.

But with some bands, this process is not so clean cut. Maybe they have too large of a discography, or their albums are a dizzying mix of live and studio recordings. Maybe they had distinct eras in which different members put their own spin on the sound. For me, Pink Floyd was one such challenge. I have had genuine exposure to them since I went to college in 2003, and it is only this year that I have grown to have an appreciation for their music. For many of the above reasons, as well as a few others, I found them incredibly challenging to "get into".

For starters, you have the fanbase. Even in 2009, every college campus has at least a few stoners who absolutely adore Floyd and all their works. These folks will easily expose you to them, but their passion is so great that it is difficult for them to recommend a good starting place for budding fans. Your other option is the radio, which isn't any better. Most classic rock stations rely on small stable of Pink Floyd songs which they reach for whenever they come up on the playlist. It mostly consists of tracks from Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall, with a handful of other tunes from the rest of their catalogue. Not only are these radio safe songs unable to demonstrate the band's full talent and style, but it is easy to grow tired of them. To this day, I still can't listen to Money. I believe that this overexposure was the major factor in keeping my interest in Floyd down for years. In any case, for a long while, I was completely indifferent to Floyd. I respected them as a major force in classic rock, and I would pay lip service to die hard fans that I talked to, as I knew enough about their history to sound like an expert. But deep down I had no urge to take a serious look at their music.

The solution to my troubles was purely accidental. I was driving around with my roomate for a few long trips, during which we listened to The Wall and Wish You Were Here almost to completion. Sitting there, being able to listen to these works the way they were intended to be heard, was the key. I had nothing to focus on but the music, thus all the subtleties and mezmerizing sounds were unlocked. I listened to them a few more times on my own, and I went from being indifferent to at least being interested. Then I purchased and listened to Animals on my own, and after that I was hooked.

Or at least, I would like to think I am hooked. But the only albums I have mentioned so far compromise the band's "Big Four", the releases which saw their best commercial success, and which many people think of when they think of what defines the Pink Floyd sound. But there were releases afterwards, when the band was in turmoil, and even more from before, when they were going through changes in their lineup and musical styles. I still haven't explored these offerings, and if my research is any indication, there is no guarantee that they will click with me in the same way. But for once I am willing to take a chance, and at the very least I have an anchor point. It took a long time to get to this point, but the journey was more than worth it.

No comments: