Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Follow Up - MLB At Bat

I've been able to use At Bat for a bit over a week now. My opinion of it is mostly the same. I can't really say how much more reliable the sound is on a Wifi connection, because the Wifi at the house has been flaking out a ton lately (plus the Droid just doesn't get a strong signal from it). I've had nights with completely uninterrupted sound, and others in which I've just quit listening instead of attempting to reconnect every inning. However, I'm quite positive that it isn't all due to problem on my end. There were a few instances where a game cut out, and I would open up the browser to make sure that websites still loaded. They did so without a hitch, making me believe the disconnects were due to problems with MLB's servers. Whatever the issue, I'd be happy if the game's reliably reconnected, but this only happens occasionally. The rest of the time, the program will simply hang unless you coax it into trying again.

Despite that, I was using At Bat to listen to at least one game a day from Monday to Sunday, and the majority of that time was probably disconnect free. In essence, this program turns your smartphone into an AM pocket radio, allowing to pretend that you're your dad for a night, sitting on the porch and tuning in before bedtime. That's really special to me, and if the disconnects would improve a bit more, I'll be in heaven.

No comments: