Friday, April 01, 2011

MLB At Bat '11

Another Year, another season of baseball.  That means it is time for MLB At Bat, the handiest way to listen to live games.

I'll admit, by the end of last season I pretty much stopped using the app, partly because the Mets were awful, and partly because the both the app itself and my home internet connetion had troubles staying connected.  This year, it seems that  some work was done to help alleviate this problem.  The connection has dropped occasionally, but each time the app managed to reestablish it on its own, within just a few seconds. 

At Bat has a few new features as well.  There is one feature which apparently can be used at ballparks, though I'm not sure what it does.  It also doles out the occasional free video feed from mlb.tv. 

In regards to video, technically this version of At Bat is improved, but it still lags behind the version made for iOS devices, which have full mlb.tv integration. I understand that the popularity of iOS means that it will be the premiere platform, but Android handsets have made huge strides since last spring, both in features and in sheer numbers.  If the NFL and Verizon can whip up a decent Android app for free, then I hope that MLB is able to sneak in some more goodies during the season.

Overall, I'm happy with the improvements made, and I've already used the app more per day than I did last year.  With some luck, we may get more updates as the season goes on.

Now let's go Mets!

No comments: