Friday, March 22, 2013

iTunes 11 - Deleting Podcasts

Overall, I might be one of the few people who doesn't hate iTunes 11. It took me a minute to "get" the way the interace was organized, at which point I found it a much cleaner way of juggling all the different media types iTunes can handle.

Today I found my first major gripe.  I stumbled upon a podcast named Ruby5, which is (aptly) about Ruby programming.  I gave it two minutes before I realized that it wasn't what I expected, and I immediately unsubscribed.

It worked, but not really.  After unsubscribing, iTunes continued to show the show among my list of podcasts.  I'm not sure about you, but when I unsubscribe from something - be it email, a magazine, or a podcast - it means I don't want to see it any more.  So why does iTunes keep it around?  In case I want to subscribe again later? If that is the case, I won't forget how to do it. I know Apple likes to tell its users what they should want, but now they're telling me I can't even trust my memory and/or motor skills.
Why won't you go away????!!!!?

I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out how to do an actual delete.  Here's how:

  • In the top-center of the above image, you can see that the "Podcasts" view is selected.  We need to switch to the "List" view instead.
  • In the List view. your podcasts will be like a file system.  Each Podcast show will be represented as a collapsable folder, and each episode appears below it.  From here, you can click on the show and get a delete option.

Sayonara ...



    Not too hard when you know where to look, but in this case, knowing where to look is easier said than done.

    2 comments:

    Unknown said...

    Thank You! I was having the exact same problem

    kathleen skinner said...

    This was the exact issue I was having! I honestly spent hours trying to find a "delete" button under the normal Podcast view.
    Thank you so much for listing this quick tutorial, it was so very helpful.