Sunday, April 07, 2013

Videolamer Search Project Redux: Importing the Site

Task: Import Videolamer.com content into local Wordpress installation
Estimated Pomodoros:1
Actual Pomodoros:1

Pre Task Thoughts

I'm estimating this at one pomodoro.  If memory serves me, the importation process isn't hard, so I'm taking my chances and assuming all will go well.

The reason for this task is simple - I want VL's content in a MySQL database, and I don't have shell access to the VL server.  The only way to get to the DB is for me to duplicate it, and the easiest way to do that is to create a local Wordpress install (which I've done) and import the entire site into it.

Post Task Thoughts

The import was quick and easy, but the importation process took well over one pomodoro to complete.  I'm going to make a judgement and not count that import time against the pomodoro.

Task: Create personal reminder README files
Estimated Pomodoros: < 1
Actual Pomodoros:< 1

This task involves an idea I just came up with today.  I often install a piece of software, experiment with it, and then abandon it for months at a time.  When I come back to it, I don't always know exactly what I did, and what tweaks I might have made.  In order to remind me, I'm going to add files into each folder (named CMWREADME) which will contain notes on what I've done so far.

For example, in the MAMP folder, the CMWREADME explains what changes have been made to the default configuration files, as well as what's in the htdocs folder.  Then, in my working folder for this project, there's another CMWREADME which explains the purpose of some of the folders I created, the state of the Wordpress installation, etc.  I'm hoping that if I keep these files up to date, they will help me get back up to speed after a hiatus of any length.

I worked on this task while the site importation was running, and it rounded out the time for most of the pomodoro.  I still had some leftover, however, and I used it to cleanup and reorganize my development folder.

No comments: