Friday, August 20, 2004

Juicin' up

This morning a great thing happened. My brand new ATI Radeon 9800 Pro video card came in the mail. Ever since my family bought their first legitimate computer, my video cards have been as follows:

Voodoo 3 3000 PCI - this wasn't too bad at the time, played Homeworld well and that's all that mattered back then

Geforce Mx 440 - I got this over a Geforce 3, not realizing my error. It now serves my brother in playing all his old games. Kinda feel like I wasted my money here.

Geforce Fx 5200 - Came with my new machine, and was, at the time, the best card I could afford. It played everything I had just fine, but with the arrival of UT 2004, Far Cry, and now Doom 3 I knew it was time to put it to pasture. Later I would find out that this card, especially the "Generic, vanilla" flavor of it that I have, was a pretty weak, budget card that didn't actually outperform an older model Geforce 4 Ti 4600.

Basically, they've all served their purpose for only a year before they needed to be replaced. While this 9800 pro is not the newest hardware in the market, it was the top banana less than a year ago rather than some cheaper alternative, and I have heard nothing but good things about it even today. It plays Doom and Half Life 2 at high detail and high res; considering that graphical tech won't be surpassing either of those for a while to come, right now that's all I need.

A shame, then, that I'll be out today and won't be able to do more than install the thing. If I get to using it tonight I'll be sure to update with the results.

hmm... As for LC1201, I have something new to post very soon, but I'm not sure what to call it. Its a suite of reviews, specifically of the Mega Man series of games. I plan on reviewing many differnt games series this way; its great for organization, and to see how each one stacks up to each other. Anyway, who the hell cares what the name is as long as its good?

Give us the money.... Elmo knows where you live!!!

No comments: