Friday, September 03, 2004

The Dark Side Beckons You...

I haven't posted in a few days, and for good reason. I bought Knights of the Old Republic for PC. Not gonna review the thing till its done, but it hasn't dissapointed yet. I could think of a few improvements, but so can any picky sumabtich who's played too many games for their own good.

As for LC1201, I doubt I'll finish anything of worth before returning to college unless packing goes quicker than planned. If its anything, it'll be the first Dreamcast game I review (but certianly not the last).

I saw American gymnast Paul Hamm on a daily talk show a few days ago, discussing how the Olympic Committee asked for him to give up his medal to the South Korean who was cheated of it due to faulty judging. When I heard this I agreed with Hamm (who refused); he simply performed, and the medal was given to him. Can't blame the kid. What he said next was what made me realize just why every other nation in the world sees the American Olympic team as the new East Germans. This situation has happened before, and most times the gold winners plead and demand that the cheated participant also be given a gold. Hamm insisted that he would not do this, saying that "we can't just give out gold medals to everyone."

Paul, you should keep your medal, even if you didn't deserve it. It is there because someone else screwed up. But at the same time, the South Korean gymnast lost his chance at it because someone else screwed up. The only reason he lost was because no one from South Korea contested the judges decision (and all rulings are final). Its bad enough that the judges can't do their job. But why didn't anyone contest them? Now you can't ask the gymnast to do this; they just gave the performance of their life. What more do you want from them? Its up to his supporters and his team. Instead, the best male gymnast at the Olypmics was cheated of gold because of other's mistakes.

In the spirit of sportsmanship, Hamm should realize this, and realize that his oppenent did better. The fact that Paul fell, and the Korean didn't is enough of an indicator of who did better. Instead he has decided he is the best, and America wouldn't have it any other way. The entire world is looking at him, and he doesn't want to share. People need to look out for themselves, true, but that doesn't mean they can't be respectful. If our own citizens can't behave like this, its no wonder that our government isn't looked to highly upon by so many other nations.

I have no doubt the entire sport of gymnastics will have to go through some serious changes if it wants to retain legitimacy (kinda sad when a Russian knew that Carly Patterson would win gold before even competing), and I'm glad for it. I also think that the IOC should take a serious look at their judged sports. I don't know if there's bias or bribery or anything, but something just didn't seem right with them this year.

I never have been a huge fan of the Olympics; usually I observe them from a distance, picking up on the major news but not really watching them. This year, however, I actually loathed them. That's right; I was glad to see the Olympics end. Every year it becomes more of a three ring circus both in NBC coverage and the conflicts that pop up. Rather than praise themselves for holding an event with a vast amount of empty seats and low ratings, I wish the people in charge would get back to what its all about; the competition, the heart, and the shear athelticism of each person participating. The torch still burns, but for me (and so many others) its at the strength of a Zippo.

Give me the Whistle

No comments: