Friday, September 17, 2004

This is how we do it

Its Friday night and I'm here typing on the blog. Yes I realize this is rather sad, but then I realize that the only thing everyone else is doing is getting shitfaced enough to lose all ability to create conscious thought for the 100th or so weekend in a row. Not exactly an impressive alternative.

I've been on a demo high lately, and I've got some more to report on. The Tribes single player was short, but enjoyable. Not exactly what I expected from it (actually, I don't know what I'd expect, considering neither of the Tribes games had single player components), but interesting nontheless.

The big one was the Call of Duty: United Offensive demo. It was only one mission, taking place in Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge, but it was damn good. Some reviewers have claimed that the expansion looses some of the magic that the orginal game had. I can't really agree or not considering I only played one level, but there were many aspects that I found to be, well, curious. For one, most of the mission was nothing more than a shooting gallery. It starts off with you manning the gun on a jeep as it drives past droves of Germans, while the rest of the mission has you jumping from different foxholes and taking out various enemy units. It was still hectic, and like the original, taking cover and moving with teamates helps keep you alive. However, the excellent gunfights alongside your squad were practically absent, and there were a few objectives that seemed to be mroe about trial and error than genuine player skill. In short, it played a little bit too much like Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. That kind of gameplay worked when AA was the only thing around, but COD and other WWII themed shooters removed the need for such cheap tactics. I'd still buy the pack once it dips into the sub $30 range however; I doubt the rest of the game is exactly like Bastogne, and even if it was, the level was still more fun than all of MOH: Breakthrough. That's gotta be worth something.

It seems that after many successful rounds of playing the "buy your textbooks online" game, I've finally lost a hand. One of my books has yet to arrive after a week of waiting, and judging by the seller ratings (which I stupidly didn't read), I may have found a shitty seller. I've emailed him, but I have a feeling I may not get a response. Whatever happens, I'll be sure to post the results.

New review for LC1201 in the works, this time for the game Mafia. Keep you eyes peeled.

When it comes to politics, I'm not a fan of Bush or Kerry, but I found this to be one of the stupidest things I've seen. I like how they claim that we shouldn't worry about terrorism becasue they only spend "less than one cookie" on military resources. I guess that's how they blew up some of our buildings. I agree that our nations money could be better spent, but there's more to world politics than how many cookies you have. Its all about how you use them.

Finally, congrats to Gabe for his firstborn. His account of the goings on was incredibly moving, and I wish him and his wife the best of luck. I can't believe that, even on his own friggin website, Gabe was practically apologizing for talking about it, when in fact the entire PA community was waiting to hear from him. Tycho and Gabe rarely get personal, since they'd rather talk games and make fun of people, so when they do its always worth reading. I believe it is that level of sincerity, modesty, and selectivity that makes their relationship with the fans that strong, and why I love reading PA every week.

On the other hand, we have a bitch complaining about how she hates ribs. How people worship any of the MT crew as such godlike figures is far beyond me. Put a sock in it and read some angsty poetry you moaning fucks.

You gotta boil it, till the glue gets soft

No comments: