Monday, July 10, 2006

Super Post

Saw Superman on Saturday. I'm mixed on how I feel. They did a good job of paying homage to Reeves and the original films, while fusing modern day effects with an old fashioned looking Metropolis. All of Superman's big scenes were also effective in portraying the idea that he is indeed the Man of Steel. Despite what I've heard, I believe the acting was also good enough.

So, my problems. The film was trying to do both character development and action, and even in a two and a half hour movie there wasn't enough time for both of them. We have the perfect set up for some interesting conflicts with these classic characters, and by the end nothing really changes. Yet the fact that the tried to go somewhere with it meant that the film was a bit skimpy on action. Supes saves the day in a whole lot of brief clips, but that wasn't enough for me. This big, ambitious movie left me wanting more of everything, and not in a good way. I'm hoping they make a sequel however, since I believe that if the crew had the oppurtunity to make their own film, rather than such a big huge Superman homage, they could create a fantastic story.

Plus I thought they handled his Kryptonite weakness in a rather silly way.

I was going to continue this post by discussing traffic in Denver, but I realized its not only boring as a subject, but its probably the same everywhere else. We'll move onto some news and links

-Japan. Korea. Pre-emptive strike. I guess it was only a matter of when, not if, we would see the giant robots and psychic schoolgirls. And you thought I'd be giving you deep political commentary. That's funnier than my lame joke.

-Someone stole my article! Okay, so its pure coincidence that a 1up editor does a piece on Bemani and Guitar Hero shortly after I did, but still, now no one will care for my shit now that someone bigger and professional has done the same thing. Still, I agree with Rea's opinion on thie newfangled Guitar Revolution from Konami. I'd really like to see them bring the heat to Harmonix. The boys over there have no one to compete against, and they're still working damn hard on Guitar Hero 2. Imagine what they could produce if Konami made a real solid product. This probably won't be the case however. Rea confirms what I had guessed; the U.S. Bemani division is in shambles. I wouldn't be surprised if this game is nothing more than 3 key Guitar Freaks from years ago brought over with a half baked song list (ala Beatmania U.S.). I hope I'm wrong, but it doesn't look pretty based on past efforts. Suggestion for Konami; you'll do well not to fill it with tons of J-Rock, unless its the Pillows.

-Tomorrow's article on Videolamer is my weekly review, an article about a year in the making. A few major rewrites, one lost draft and a few bad cases of writer's block have hampered it along the way, but its finally done, changed from a forthing attack full of vitriol into a concentrated critique of hopefull quality.

Yes ladies and gents. Tomorrow is Me Versus Kingdom Hearts. I'm expecting a lot of flames, maybe some insightful commentary. Maybe nothing at all (no, that won't happen. Its impossible with Square fans). Will you be there? Link tomorrow.

No comments: