Sunday, June 03, 2007

Web 2. woah?

This handy article tells us that Web 2.0 is creating a sea of mediocrity. Sometimes I agree that this is quite accurate. As much as I've found cool stuff on Youtube, I feel that this is the norm rather than the exception with most things on there. There's too much stupid shit from too many stupid people, myself included.

But I fear this article takes the wrong approach to the argument. The fact that wikipedia is so popular has nothing to do with the fact that it can be run by all, but because its free and easy to use. Britannica requires a subscription to view all of its content, and I really don't feel like paying for it. And please don't tell me I'm being lazy and greedy; I'm still the type of person who would gladly go to the library to find books for my research. It was Britannica that decided to move all of their content online. If they're wallowing because of it, they should have realized there was still a demand for regular books.

No comments: