Friday, July 27, 2007

Is it still called a pie?

I tried a Subway pizza today. Once again I have to tell the company to fuck off.

I wasn't sure how the hell they made the pizzas, so I was afraid of ordering one for the longest time. Chalk that up to being a former Loyola student who ate at dining halls, where new menu items meant nothing more than window dressing, since no one knew how to make them. The process is all but complicated; the Subway folks pull a premade frozen pizza out of some corner of the backroom, throw it in the sub toaster, and put it in a box.

Oh, but you do get to pick your favorite "fresh" toppings. Joyous.

It isn't that I blame Subway for not making the pizza with fresh ingredients; mass produced is the only way to go for such a large company. It still bugs me when they consistently use their angle of fresher eating versus other fast food joints. Nothing about it is fresh, and the fact that I can pick my toppings makes it far from "personal". The fact that its .50 per topping means that a Subway pizza on the road to personal also comes with a personal reaming up the ass.

The only good news of this is that I found out there's a Quiznos not that far down the road. The extra dollar or two that their sandwiches cost compared to Subway is worth it. Hell, Subway's prices are so high now I can get a lunch special at the chinese take out place for less, and if I want to I could stretch it into two meals!

I think Subway changed their motto to "Eat Shit" and never told consumers.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo it's your bro. dude i don't get what you are saying. i've heard you on more then one occasion saying how you loved subway by your school saying the had such great deals and how tasty their sandwiches are. now you're bashing them? granted i get what you're saying the bastards have raised their prices but what fast food chain hasn't. and sure there stuff isn't "fresh'. but i like subway becasue one its different and two a hell of a lot healthier then the alternatives. the baconator. need i say more?

Anonymous said...

It's the other bro. I would agree that the change of pace, what with real sandwiches, would raise it's face value. And the food is at least as tasty as other fast food choices(though I have reservations on the health benefits. Screw how little fat there is, their caloric intake seems high...).

But then again, you can get the same sandwich, with actual quality, from a real-deal local deli. For the same price or less. Which is what I'm currently doing over the built in Subway at Wal-Mart. I'm sure doing the same wouldn't be hard in an actual big city.

As I understand, Mr. Loyola Flash liked Subway because his local one had wicked awesome deals, which will gain it the love of any poor college kid. Take that away, and replace it with standard Subway pricing, and it's yet another breakup caused by money issues.

christian wolfe said...

Um yeah Spruce said it. My local Subway had their own special deals that they eventually took away. Then I stopped going.

Yeah it is tasty enough. But again, Quiznos is slightly pricier and much better, and there are other alternatives that are even cheaper for more food. What drives me nuts about subway is that they're way too overpriced and often the most convenient choice. I wish that wasn't the case.