Monday, July 16, 2007

Moving in

The title of this post is misleading: I've been moved in for two weeks now. And yet my room is an absolute mess. My computer is on the floor by my bed, which is big enough to hold my mouse/keyboard/etc on one side while I sleep on the other. Its not a bad setup perse (my back will say differently in a month), but I really ought to get a desk. I'll save that for after my first round of bills.

Most importantly, I have to find a good storage space for my gaming collection. Its not the largest thing I've ever seen, but it is taking up a lot of space for a man with one closet. I managed to organize all the games themselves downstairs on a large, four level CD rack I inherited, but all the old consoles fill many a shoebox, most of which are on my floor. Throw in two bulky arcade sticks and three Guitar Hero controllers, and it just gets worse. And to think I still have the SNES back at home (which is currently in a custody battle between my brother and I).

Some other things since the move in:

- I got an almost mint copy of the Omega Virus, my favorite childhood boardgame, as a move in gift. It apparently sells for a good penny on eBay. I'm not planning on touching it.

- At any given time there is a cold keg of beer in my house, sitting in a keg fridge. This is both scary and amazing.

- My job is actually quite enjoyable from day to day. Its a little risky, but a little risk makes life that much more interesting. I can't wait to see what I can do.

- I'm officially a Microsoft Whore. All MSDN all the way at work. As usual, a healthy mix of both open and proprietary tools make my life a lot easier. Protip: MS actually gives developers a CD on how to combat Linux adoption. Stupid? Pathetic? Funny as hell? You decide.

- I've been playing a fuck ton of fighting games now that Gametap has decided to go apeshit and deliver every SNK classic known to man. Having King of Fighters 94 - 2003, Metal Slug 1-5, Last Blade 1 and 2, and Samurai Showdown all on one machine, legally, is something I never thought I would see. But see it every night when I wind down with some games. PS - Art of Fighting 3? Not so bad actually.

- I work in Glen Burnie. Second job in a row in which planes are flying over my head when I go home. Too bad I'm not working in top secret bunkers at the airport like my friends. When the world ends, I guess I'll be SOL? If I survive, I'll at least be able to take over a small town or something, what with all one can learn from playing Fallout.

- I can walk for ten minutes, pay $8 in the morning for the water taxi, and get to all the touristy areas of Baltimore all day long, for less than the price of a cab in traffic.

A shame that I have no need to get to the inner harbor, or Fell's Point during the afternoon

- Here's a game about Victorian women getting into face slapping competitions. You slap by drawing lines on the screen with your mouse.

Mouse drawings + Wiimote = 10,000 better of a game.

No comments: