Monday, March 12, 2007

Fantasy Baseball

A few years ago I dropped out of the Fantasy sports scene, and I thought it was for good. I felt it involved too much effort for little reward (we never played for money), and revolved around luck as much as skill. Plus it seemed to be dominating sports news, broadcasts and commentary. Real life games come first, fantasy always second. These days it is often hard to tell.

So what's the point of this post? I'm shamefully back in the game. One of my father's private baseball leagues ended up being short a team. With no one volunteering and their scheduled draft only days away, it was up to this washed up vet to come back to the game. My players have been drafted, and sooner or later it will be game time every day as I rotate pitchers and check the waivers.

So why the change? My aversion to fantasy sports hasn't vanished, but I suppose it has declined somewhat. In college there is so much going on that I can barely focus on my assignments, let alone baseball. After I graduate, I'll (hopefully) be in a much different daily routine as I begin working. I figured this would allow me more time and energy to focus on fantasy, either in the early morning or late at night. I also feel my baseball knowledge has sharply improved since past years, and the competitive male inside me wishes to flex that knowhow against the rest of the boys. Time will tell if this was a good choice or a bad mistake. but I know at the very least that this time, I'll actually look at my team at least once in the season (something I didn't do last time I did baseball. I literally played a season doing nothing, and was probably kicked out without me knowing). My pop will guarantee that.

No comments: