Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cruminess

I finally saw V for Vendetta in its entirety this week. Every bit and piece I saw before bugged me, but as a whole I'm almost afraid of how popular this film is. For one, I now know that the excuse that it is at the very least a good action film is a poor one. There are few fight scenes, and they all end very quickly. So all we are left with is the political angle, and that is what bothers me.

I'll use the quote from Alan Moore himself, as it sums it all up quicker than I could in this blog:

[The movie] has been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country… It's a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives—which is not what the comic V for Vendetta was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about England
And yet I know so many young people who think their eyes are opened from this film, as if they are not one of the sheep. They don't look at the destruction of Parliament in horror, and I think they should. The building is a symbol of Republic, and their is no indication that the government of the film is using it for its own twisted means. Rather than the people using it as a symbol of hope, they watch it explode. If another nation's film blew up the Capitol building in the same context, would we be so happy? Chalk one up to all the world conscious Gen Y'ers.

This film is too easy. Its themes are too obvious, and no one should be pointing to it as a way to awaken others minds. If people don't know the problems in the nation today, the better thing would be for you to explain it to them. And I cannot emphasize how sad the ending is. That the only time us modern day pukes will protest is under the mask of anonymity, when we know that we can't be singled out and pinned down. Because we are too spineless to admit we stood behind a cause. I'd like to see hipster 20 somethings (or anyone else) protest against armed guards. It wasn't long ago when many blacks still alive today did just that.

No comments: