Sunday, May 11, 2008

Ninja?

No, this isn't a thread about cliche ninja jokes. Yesterday I stopped at my favorite Gamestop in Maryland, which may seem like an oxymoron, but I promise is true. The reason for this is that it has had the same manager since I was in college, and he seems to run a damn tight ship. Back in school, I could get new games without preorder. I got the Tekken arcade stick with game for $30. I could have gotten Symphony of the Night for $25, but that no longer matters. They never bug you for reserves at checkout, the rarest games are often there, and they're always in good condition. Well, except for that copy of Tony Hawk's Underground, but they let my return it and pick which replacement disc I actually wanted to go home with.

Anyway, while I was there I felt compelled to buy something. True enough, I got Shinobi and Nightshade for $12 total, each disc in good shape, and each with instruction manuals. A bit rare for sub $10 games, but all the more worth it.

Anyway, back to Shinobi. Among the 3d action genre post-Devil May Cry, it is one of the most forgotten. This puts the game in fine company, along with titles like Gungrave Overdose and God Hand. However, with most games in the "action graveyard", I can think of a few good reasons for their lack of success. Gungrave was an unknown entity, and probably scared off some players with its anime stylings. Overdose was also $15, which is the kind of budget price that can give the wrong impression. As for God Hand, there were too many people slobbering over Okami to give a look at Clover's final game, and God Hand requires an actual understanding of beat 'em ups to enjoy its simple yet elegant system.


But what happened to Shinobi? The game is the resurrection of a classic series that many a gamer has fond memories of. Just like Ninja Gaiden. It features a new character taking the place of the old hero, wearing a sleek modern outfit. Just like Ninja Gaiden. It combines ninja acrobatics with very difficult combat.

Just like Ninja Gaiden!

When I saw NG's use of multicolored orbs to replenish health, magic and money, I knew Tecmo was taking a clear cue from Onimusha and Devil May Cry, but I never realized just how much of their re imagining of Ninja Gaiden mirrors Shinobi, which came out two years prior. If wikipedia's history of development is accurate, the many shifts in NG's creation would make it feasible for Shinobi to be a source of inspiration. Or should I say blatant copying.

Do not take this as me being bitter. Even if I end up enjoying Shinobi, I don't see it being better than Ninja Gaiden. I tr and recognize originals, but I am not about to laud them as superior in an attempt to seem hardcore and edgy. The point of all this is that Shinobi had many of the same pieces that its more successful rival did, right down to the finicky wall running mechanics. The reason that one soared and the other stalled probably has to do with what they did not have in common. Shinobi was considered graphically competent at its time of release, but certainly not a powerhouse. The game is focused on delivering the same linear progression from level to boss as its predecessors. It is a modern look at an old school game.

Ninja Gaiden on the other hand is still a showcase for the power of the Xbox. It was a technical marvel, offering slick graphic and smooth animations. It looks stylish and gory, giving players a reason to improve beyond getting to the end of the stage. It offered multiple weapons to master, rather than relying on the same sword/shuriken/magic combo of old. NG also opted for open environments and rudimentary lock/key puzzles, which gave players an added sense of depth, even if it is somewhat unnecessary. All of these qualities can also be found in Devil May Cry and God of War, the other two powerhouse action franchises. The lesson here is that no matter how challenging or deep your game is, it has to look and feel just as sharp in order to get people's attention. Ninja Gaiden was able to do that, thus it has some mainstream recognition.

Which just goes to show you that most people who say they don't care about such silly things like polish and graphics are probably lying.

Update: Played some more Shinobi. I think I also know why the game couldn't aspire to much. It is a good challenge, at least when aiming for speed and accuracy, but Devil May Cry looked better and had deeper combat a year before. It is a little too stuck to its old school roots, whereas NG tried to reinvent itself based on the formula laid down by DMC. Shinobi has its own drum to beat to, one that not every gamer is going to care for.

No comments: