Monday, February 04, 2013

Gunpla Chronicles 2: Legs

Finished one of the leg pieces.  This has been my favorite part to work on so far.  The grey and white pieces don't show sprue marks too badly, and the clear plastic sections of the decals become invisible after application.  The leg was another challenge to my panel lining skills.  There are a lot of small panels you can touch up, and they're not all easy to find.  One particular section was difficult to mark at all.  My current panel lining strategy involves filling in all the panels in a particular area of the piece with full, thick marker strokes.  After letting it sit for a few seconds, I then wipe the panel with a cloth or paper towel.  This cleans the outer surface off, but doesn't reach the marker which has settled down into the crease of the panel.  Sometimes this requires multiple applications, but as long as you dry quickly and diligently enough, you can do it all day without discoloring the plastic.

When I began to work on this trouble spot, however, the marker ink kept coming out of the panel crease, leaving the plastic entirely clean. I ended up this section from the leg and working on it in isoloation.  With a bit of extra drying time, and some extra applications of the marker, I finally got it to hold.

Not much else to say about this one.  I imagine the other leg will look just as good.


No comments: