Monday, February 18, 2013

Gunpla Chronicles 2: The Head

In my view, the head is the most important part of this model.  The RX 78-2 as a whole is one of the most iconic robots in anime history, but it is the head which is the Gundam franchise's most recognizable and enduring symbol .  A mistake on any other part of the kit can either be hidden or ignored, but even the smallest blemish to the headpiece will stick out like a sore thumb.  When building this final section, my self appointed rules were simple; no mistakes, no excuses.

Of course, this means that I came this close to making an unrecoverable mistake. I was only saved by an amazing (and confusing) quirk of the kit.

To explain, we need to look at the instruction book:


 These are the opening steps for building the head. In the left section of the text bubble, it tells you to apply three decals to the eye piece - numbers 86,33, and 34.  In the right section, it says to apply decal #32. Now lets look at the relevant section of the decal page:

86, 33 and 34 are three individual decals which combine to make the Gundam's eyes.  #32 is one single sticker that takes the place of the other three.  In other words, the kit comes with two different ways create the Gundam's eyes.  To this day, I cannot understand whether the instructions above are saying to apply all four decals on top of each other, or whether to choose between them.  If it is the former, then I ask - what advantage is there in having two layers of decals applied to the model?  If it is the former, what visual difference is there between the two approaches?

What I do know is that I first tried applying the three individual stickers, and failed.  #34 flew off of my wooden application pick and stuck to my table so firmly that I never got it off.  Even if I did manage to remove it, it would be unusable. I then tried applying #32, and did so perfectly. Bandai, I'm not sure what your angle is with these four decals, but now I don't care.  Thank you for helping save me from myself.

After having so much trouble with the eyepiece,  I decided I did not want to risk messing it up in any way.  So rather than apply topcoat to the completed head, I assembled all the outward facing parts, and sprayed them individually.  This was easier said than done; while the head does not consist of too many pieces, they are all very tiny. Perhaps after my close call with the decals, karma decided I should have some better luck, and I never came close to losing any of them. The paint went on nicely, and the final assembly came together without any drama.  Now it is time to put it all together, in the thrilling conclusion to Gunpla Chronicles 2.

No comments: