Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Unreal Tournament 2004

So I just scored yet another great game for dirt cheap.... Unreal Tournament 2004 for 15 bucks new. I've barely scratched it due to my workload, but I can already tell its something I'll be playing all year long.

First Person Shooters are by far my favorite game genre (2D fighters are a close second). RPG fans like deep stories and spiky haired characters. Strategy fans like micromanagement. I like shooting things in the face. Problem is, single player is often finished quickly, and my campus' network is horrid with multiplayer gaming. Ping spikes of up to 900 are not uncommon, and sometimes just connecting to a server is impossible. Doing anything multiplayer ends up being an event, making it impossible to simply drop in for a quick session after a long day.

Enter UT2004. The game is just full of stuff. So many maps, modes, vehicles, its incredible. The best part however is its suite of bots. Its not the same as human opponents, but the bots are still more than playable on the higher difficulty settings. Now its entirely possible to drop in for a few rounds of play and get back to work without any hassle. Did I mention the whole "fast based, respawn instantly" pacing is a refreshing change of pace from the hardcore realism of Counterstrike and America's Army?

Finally, allow me to show you the most useless feature ever from the most useless gaming site out there. Let's take the ten major console releases since the NES, systems everyone knows about, and rank them in some mysterious way. Were they tryingto be smart or clever with this? I could have put more thought into that list in one night's work

2 comments:

christian wolfe said...

The importance of the Atari 2600 cannot be understated. And how about Pong? My guess is that even the most dense casual gamer knows of the NES, but anything before that is probably cloudy, so they didn't want to confuse them.

1up tries to sound like they are educating today's gamers, but they mostly just drudge up familiar (or semi-familiar) relics from gaming past and present and make snide remarks on them, especially if its related to Nintendo.

Unknown said...

i've got a 2600 at home. i really should bring it up to school, but the damned thing and all the games (in little faux-leather plastic photo album cases) take up so much space..