Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Anyway you want it...

The above title is an homage to the song by Journey, featured in the classic Caddyshack starring Rodney Dangerfield, who passed away this Monday. An incredible comic who even today is remembered by many. Rest in Peace Rod; you now have the respect of the world.

For some unknown reason I was browsing IGN today. Something inside me keeps thinking that out of nowhere the site is ging to come back to its once former, pre-Insider goodness, even though I know, not think, know the place is going to be even worse. I guess I like pain or something.

Anyway, there was a top 25 feature on the greatest sports games of all time. Usually all time lists suck, because they are so subjective, and the pool of possible entries is just too mammoth to get them all down. IGN proved me right with the first 10 entries of their list. Either it was an ancient relic from the NES or Atari (the only two I could pick out was Double dribble and 720) or EA titles that were less than a year old. Now last time I checked, something on an all time list had to, um, stand the test of time, unbested by competitors, or at the very least still be fun. So how are Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5 on the list? This isnt' even a judgement I'm making on my own opinions (which says that neither has changed that much in five years). IGN themselves have rated both games in the 9.0 range, with the reviews getting better each year. What happens when 2006 comes out? Are you gonna redo the list? I doubt it. There's no way a sports franchise that has yealry updates should have the most recent entry on an all time list, because the next one is just going to replace it. If they put the original Gameday for Playstation, or the first NBA 2K I might agree, as these games really shook up the scene. But no way should five of your first ten games on your all friggin time list should be less than three years old.

This isn't even mentioning the fact that most of those "old" games aren't really that good anymore. I don't know anyone, even old grognards that remember Atari baseball. There's a difference between classic and old, and only two titles were actually classic.

What am I trying to get to here? Basically, the list is some bullshit they threw together in a day in order to impress and attract the coveted casual gamer demographic. By including recent games the list includes things these gamers know, and by throwing a bunch of old names into the hat that Joe Six Pack probably never heard of, it creates the illusion that IGN is knowledgable and "hardcore" about their games. Someone they can trust. Yeah right. I've seen a lot of shaky reviews and fanboy-ish diatribes at IGN, but now I can be assured that I wasn't crazy. They really are a bunch of tools.

My football team is 3-1 (here's a hint as to who it is: I bleed blue), and everyone is jumping up and down. I can only imagine what the callers on WFAN back in NY are proclaiming. While I'm glad to see the Giants in such a good early position, I'm gonna hold my breath about the future of the season. They haven't beaten any really good teams except Green Bay, and they were without their QB. If the Giants can take out Dallas and their next opponent I might tend to agree, but for now its too early to celebrate. Whatever elation you get from a 3-1 record won't be there if they're 5-11 in the winter. We'll see though.



No comments: