Friday, October 29, 2004

Thank God its Finished

All nighters are curious events.... when they're over you feel like a king for getting everything done, and you feel strangely awake as well. Then the adrenaline wears off, you feel like crap, and a few days later all the lost sleep creeps up and bites you in the ass at the worst possible time. I suppose that's what you get for putting things off.

Anyway, enough of that. The weekend is here, Halloween weekend to be specific. Back in the day this would mean my brother and I would eat the candy bought for Trick or Treaters while watching Treehouse of Horror. In college it means the same as every weekend, only the day after is November and winter depression knocks on the door. Expect lots of angsty poems and lengthy dissertations about my emotions in the future (just kidding there folks. Winter sucks but I'm not a tool. As with everything in life you deal with it.)

In other news, Sony has announced and incredbly dirt cheap price for the PSP, roughly equivilating to $180 American. Apparently its just as I thought; they found a way to cut manufacturing cost to less than originally predicted. Still, they'll definitely be losing money for each unit sold. This could either be their final coup against Nintendo, or their greatest blunder.

Which leads to the Question of the Blog: Do you think the PSP will be the next Game Gear, or is the Playstation name the ultimate license to print money? Post your answers in the comments section. Oh, and Happy Halloween

1 comment:

christian wolfe said...

The DS will certainly have some interesting games. I think the big question as to its success is whether those games will really try to do something new, or will simply be gimmicks. If it can genuinely do some new, interesting things, I can see it revitalizing developers and getting them to think outside the box rather than go with the "play it safe" that is so popular in today's market.

As for the PSP, its going to sell, a lot, no matter how much you slice it. However it still has some serious problems. For one, (as you've said) Sony has revealed little about it, at least in terms of its American release. Nintendo can get a serious head start with the DS this November, and if it takes off enough it will be even harder for Sony to hype up the PSP.

Second, I wonder how many gamers are going to be interested in the PSP's lineup of games. I personally can't see myself playing something as complex as Gran Turismo on the go. I think the reason the GBA has done so well is that its games are complex, but simple enough to enjoy in small and large doses. I dont' see the PSP striving for the kind of balance, and I don't think that's a smart move.

Whatever happens, it will be very interesting