Saturday, December 25, 2004

Jingle around the clock

The current time: 12:42 AM December 25th. Guess I should write something about Christmas huh?

Christmas is a strange day really. Its the only major holiday that seems to change with age. These days everyone has fun during Halloween (whether its due to candy, booze, or both). On Thanksgiving, there's only one goal; stuff yourself silly all day long, young or old, hungry or not.

Things are different with Christmas. When you are a child, the month of December feels like an additional half year added to the calendar. And when the day finally comes, its all about presents, toys, games whatever. Its all about you and your stuff, and all is right with the world. Then you get older.

After a while, December slowly goes from being extra long to "far too quick". Rather than (im)patiently waiting for the 25th we curse our lack of time and the huge list of things to do before the holidays. Presents must be bought, cards written, trees are put up. All the preparations for such a "jolly" holiday don't seem so jolly does it? Its at this point that people begin to wonder about the season. Is it too commercialized? Is all that joy real or just plain courtesy? If you listen to some of the pundits, you'll even wonder if its all worth it.

It seems that more than anything, Christmas is a really confusing holiday.

So, what should we focus on? The gifts? The religious foundation? Business as usual? Unfotunately, I don't know the answer to that question quite yet. The only thing I do know is that Christmas, more than anyhting else, makes me realize just how much I really have. Not in material goods, but health, friends, and family. Real things, the kind that matter in life. It also makes you realize that time doesn't stop for the holidays, and all those little problems you might encounter along the way seem pale in comparison to some of the real tradgedies that befall people around the world in the realm called life. These days, Christmas might not be as purely fun as it wsa in years past, and yet it is not depressing either. Its just plain humbling, a way to ground yourself for another crazy year. You can't get a much better gift than that.

Well, maybe this year I did. Merry Christmas dear; you'll be in my thoughts today. And best wishes to everyone else out there. I hope yours is a safe, loving, and peaceful day. And if not, I give you my best wishes

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

(now its 1:30, this took me longer than I thought. Santa won't come if I don't go to bed ^-^).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you made me blush. ^^

happy christmas, christian.

christian wolfe said...

Lemon, I really respect the fact that you're so honest about your childhood (although I wouldn't blame any of your spoiling on yourself, since you really can't control your family when you are a kid). The fact that you are trying to make amends later in life is pretty incredible. Sorry to hear our plan didn't work out.

I also understand your concern about today's kids being overly spoiled. Just yesterday at the family Christmas party I saw the same thing. One of my younger cousins (from a rather well off family) receieved a new iPod and PC which were just two of many gifts she received. Her total far eclipsed anything my immediate family has given each other as gifts. There was so much literal "Stuff" there, most of which, in reality, no one there actually needed.

It got me thinking: What kind of values are we teaching the kids? What expectations will they have in the future? How will they behave when they are older? If the many "upper crust" students at my college are any indication, the answers aren't pretty.

Just keep trying man. Hopefully your efforts will turn out for the best