Monday, January 09, 2006

Big Loss

You know, it doesn't matter if your football team won the NFC East the year after another team from the division went to the Super Bowl. It doesn't matter if you made the playoffs a year after having a losing season. When you see your team lose as bad as the Giants did on Sunday, there is no feeling of "they still did better than expected." No, you still feel like crap, ashamed to wear your Giants hat around the block, and not very much interested in the playoffs anymore. Chances are the vast majority of readers are having troubles understanding how someone can get so upset over a football game, but you'll just have to bear with me. Geekery be dammed, I love my sports and I always will.

Dan Hsu's blog post about editorial integrity in gaming journalism is still getting comments from people, and another writer Aaron McKenna has posted an essay about what he considers to be a lack of quality among game reviews/previews. Enough has been said on the subject that any input from myself would probably be a moot point, so instead I'll try to take some lessons from these guys and be as critical as necessary with my own game write-ups. That Onimusha review was a little to wishy washy at the end. I'll have to watch myself next time.

No comments: