Saturday, January 14, 2006

Break's over, back to work

I had nice little update planned for yesterday (I hate going four days without a post), but a family emergency required me to make a trip deep into the NY/NJ Metropolitan area. Everything is okay, but I have to say, driving anywhere near the City during rush hour on a Friday is incredible. Volume wise, it isn't any different from traveling on the Beltway at the same time. The difference is in some of the random, aggressive and dangerous stunts that drivers often try to pull off, soley so they can move five feet ahead of the other guy, only to lose that when their lane stops moving and eveyone else coasts ahead of them. I have to salute anyone who drives that commute every day (insert random stab at New Jersey drivers here).

This weekend is my last two days home before returning for spring semester. It was a very quiet break; no chance to see old friends, and not much to do outside of a few trips to the mall. That probably sounds a bit lonely, but I enjoyed the piece and quiet. I managed to take care of some important business, and I was able to play my fair share of good games. I got to write a lot too, some of which you've seen, and some of which needs a couple more revisions. Most importantly, the break was a chance to get away from that special kind of drama which manifests on college campuses. I'm going to make sure that crap stays to a minimum this spring. I'll have a lot on my plate, and the only way I'll manage is if I focus on my work and not on the "he said she said". I think I can handle it just fine.

Let's head to the links:

Every Thursday this month, Turner Classic Movies will be showing the films of Hayao Miyazaki. His movies are pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to anime; they're beautifully animated, wonderfully imaginative and just plain entertaining. They aren't perfect by any means; I think Miyazaki overuses certain themes and motifs throughout his films. Nevertheless, if you're interested in checking out something a little different on TV, you can do a whole lot worse.

Yet another politician being pushed out of office due to scandal. I don't know what to make of all these pols. being kicked out; should I be happy that such corruption is being removed, or should I be upset that the government is really as corrupt as they say?

For any Loyola students out there; there's a Facebook.com group for Counterstrike fans made by yours truly. Head over there if you're an AWP whore and damn proud of it.

No comments: