Monday, May 30, 2005

So I finally broke down yesterday, and purchased my very first Sony console. Yesterday I ordered a slim model PS2 bundle and Burnout 3. Technically, I do own an original Playstation, but I bought that secondhand from my brother.

The choice was difficult. I've been stewing for close to a year about buying a new console, as well as on which one to get. I like the PS2 and Xbox equally, and both had their strengths and weaknesses. The choice on the PS2 came down to several factors; one, none of the Xbox bundles in my price range came with a second controller, always a no-no in my house. Second, I discovered that while the slim model system doesn't support the harddrive addon, it does have an ethernet port built in. I'd much rather play free online than pay for Xbox Live (great as it may be). Finally, the slim model system is so ridiculously small that bringing back to college would hardly take up any extra space, while an Xbox would most likely be hard to find a place for.

I also questioned the choice of buying a console when the next generation is right around the corner. However the general consensus of myself and others seems to be that early adoption, especially in this very pricey next-gen is not going to be worth it. Buying a PS2 now is just another avenue for me to buy games on the cheap during the lean months when college income is enough to pay the phone bill and buy pizza once a week. It also gives me an oppurtunity to review more games. At the very least, it will be a bastion for all the 2d Fighters I couldn't get on the Dreamcast, and will double as a DVD player.

2 comments:

christian wolfe said...

Is that a decent game? I'll have to take a look at anything Lemon reccomends

christian wolfe said...

Sounds like a win to me.