Friday, August 19, 2005

What? I didn't actually post anything yesterday like I said I would? My bad; these last few days have been a grueling, lethargic span of boredom and fatigue. I'm back for the weekend though.

I have only one more week of work at Wal-Mart, but if it goes at the same pace as this week, it is going to feel like a month. Here's a pretty good analysis of every day this week:

-Management has a project for the Setup crew. They assume it will take about four hours to do.

- Setup gets on it, either together or in groups because they think we're "horsing around" too much.

- Despite the horsing around, the job is done in two hours, either because the sheer amount of people on the crew or because some of us happen to know what we're doing and don't screw up. At this point I might be sent off alone to do a tedious job while the rest continue the horseplay.

- Another two hour job, then lunch. After lunch there might be a couple last minute things, but by two o'clock there is nothing left to do. We get scolded for loafing around, yet management can't think of anything good for us to do. We get split up for odd jobs, and we stil manage to come back together and loaf.

-Eventually management just plain dissappears to go do whatever it is they do. The afternoon is ours to waste away. On three different days I chatted with my friends for an hour straight in the new sales floor, with not one person interrupting us.

-Leave at five with boredom fatigue.

The reason for it all is that the main manager of the store has been sick for nigh on three weeks. The man is a machine, always knowing what to do and who to do it. Without him, his assistants seem to be completely lost and much more prone to making bonehead decisions (or none at all).

So now you know a little more about how Wal-Mart operates. I don't know if anyone cares, or if the people that read this blog even shop at Wally World (I certainly do- always low prices bitch!).

Xbox 360 pricing - enough has been said about it, so all I'll chime in with is that I agree with PA's Tycho in that the $300 model is silly for the sole reason that upgrading it with the stuff found in the $400 model will actually cost more, and the lack of a harddrive will prevent any developers from using it to improve their games (which is never good, especially considering it could have been prevented).

No comments: