Thursday, June 15, 2006

Karma's Revenge

The first few paragraphs of my last post were not for your eyes. That random shit about Killer 7 is an early draft of my review for the game (I write stuff down before I'm finished in order to keep from forgetting major ideas or points, then change it if need be). It was included in the file I wrote the post in, and was accidentally pasted here. I've removed it now, so things should make some more sense (and don't worry, you'll still see that stuff again if it interested you. Just wait for the actual review :p).

My computer monitor was acting very screwy yesterday. I honestly thought I was suffering a computer crash or something of the sort, until I calmed down and figured out the source of the trouble. Its working fine now though, which makes me wonder what happened (and if it will occur again). If something is busted, I hope it is the monitor. That means I there won't be any data loss or mucking around with the rest of the hardware. Even better would be to not have to replace anything at all. I almost think it was karma coming full circle after some laziness on my part during the week.

Sticking with the karma thing, I got my copy of Street Fighter Alpha Anthology today. Apparently the 13th was the ship date. Anyway, this was the first game I've ever preordered (unless you count buying Half Life 2 online a month before release), and it turns out that was a good idea. Reports on shoryuken.com were indicating that the game was selling out quick, and it that it is getting hard to find a copy without a preorder. Turns out that of the two copies my local EB had left, one didnt' actually seem to exist, and the other had my preorder ticket taped to the case. Lucky man I guess.

Or was I? For as I was driving home, I decided to open up a leftover bottle of Coke from work. The result was the worst coke explosion I've ever witnessed. I had to drvie over 40 minutes with my arms and entire car interior soaked in sticky cola, in traffic, and weather that apparently peaked past 100 degrees. Then I had to clean it out when I got home (I had flashbacks of Pulp Fiction the entire time). I guess Buddha decided I had to earn that copy of Alpha.

By the way, there's no humidity here in Colorado. That means that I was able to drive in that 100 or so degree weather today with the window down, with no AC (which was my choice; AC takes too long to get cold), and only feel mildly hot and sweaty. My extended family thinks I'm nuts, but its true. Without the mugginess and stickiness of the east coast to drain you of energy, it is both possible and enjoyable to live in such extreme temperatures.

Finally, some people I know from college have bragged to me in the past about their chance to attend Otacon this summer. The event is like a rite of passage for serious otaku, and they'll be going in full throttle with Cosplay and everything. They feel bad that I won't be able to attend this bastarization of Japanese culture brought to us by the rose tinted lenses of the American anime fan. Instead I have to settle for going to the Denver Cherry Blossom Festival this weekend, which celebrates real, authentic Japanese culture in a variety of ways. Too bad I can't spend a weekend at a convention/hotel filled with sweaty, property damaging geeks wearing ridiculous costumes who think they are "Japanese in spirit" because they can utter a few phrases in their "native" tongue. These are the sacrifices one must make .

No comments: