Tuesday, June 27, 2006

It seems that my DDR series was one of the most popular things on Videolamer in quite some time. How do I try to top such a ridiculous work? By doing something even more stupid; reviewing Killer 7. Its up for you to read. Try not to laugh too hard.

I went to another Rockies game this weekend. This time I took pictures. Lots of them. Hopefully I can get them on Flickr or something by Wednsday, otherwise I'll have to wait over a week to get access to my relative's camera. Hopefully by Friday I'll have my own one of those, which will save me quite a lot of hassle (fun fact: This will be the first camera I've ever owned in my entire life. Most high schoolers would laugh at me for that. Talk about anti social).

Being a hopeless gamer who loves things shiny and rare, as well as a fighting game fan who couldn't fight his way out of a paper bag, I went out and bought one of those Street Fighter Anniversary 6 button game pads. I tried to justify the purchase by telling myself it would actually improve my game. Turns out it actually did! I can actually combo a jump-in into a super, and do most special moves on command without screw ups. Not much to brag about in reality, but its still progress. Plus I can actually play King of Fighters games the way they were meant to be played (even fireball motions don't register well on the dual shock).

So far it all comes down to the circular d-pad, which might not be as precise as a stick, but won't destroy your thumb like a dual shock. You can actually spend long periods of time practicing without any discomfort. I've also learned to hold the controller differently. It sits on my right leg, and I rest my entire hand above the six buttons, for instant access to any move. Its actually easy to adjust to this type of play, and now I can't see how I did so well hitting attacks with just my thumb.

The controller also happens to be a spiffy package for just 20 bucks. The box is sturdy, with some beautiful artwork on it. Inside is a certificate of authenticity, and a mini Street Fighter comic book. The controller itself isn't too shabby; light without feeling cheep, with very solid buttons. The colors are a little garish (mine is the red and yellow Ken version), but I'll live with that. In fact, I might go back later this summer and pick up the only reamining Ryu version, even if it has a broken box.

Some links are in order methinks:

Warren Buffet is giving away more money than you'll ever see to Bill Gate's mega charity foundation. The amount of good that they can do with this kind of cash is staggering, and the fact that Bill is taking off to work on this full time is actually pretty exciting now.

What is sad, however, is the amazing number of Slashdot geeks who are finding ways to put this event in a terrible light. "Rich people donating their money at the last minute means nothing". "If they didn't have the money, then it'd be in all of our pockets instead." "The money is being wasted. We should devote more of it to things like AI research"

I just can't comprehend how self centered and bitter these people are, just because they had a few bad experiences with Windows products. Too bad MS is not the same as Bill's foundation. And AI research? What the hell? I can see hte argument for connecting third world children to the internet, but AI? Just, no... these are geeks wanting money for their pet projects, too far removed from the world to think about starving children and cures to deadly diseases. This one slashdot comment actually says it best:

"Great, then please go ahead and do that: earn your own billions to spend on your own monumental projects.
To impress future generations, make sure to engrave your achievements. Something along the lines of:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!'
While you're doing that, I'm glad someone is humble enough to spend resources on mundane problems like world pandemics, disaster prevention and recovery, ineffective education systems, and other issues that cripple long term development (economic and otherwise).
You know, the kind whose solutions will be required to make the achievements you propose into sustainable contributions to the advancement of humankind, instead of an excercise in the comparative studies of metaphorical male genitalia."

Discovery Channel news says that university life nad increasing years in college is creating adults who lack mental the true mental maturity of adulthood. I would happen to agree. In college I've learned to do a lot of things in order to take care of myself. But if I'm going to graduate, get a job and live completely on my own, I still have a lot of things I need to learn, and actions to take care of on my own without fear of the consequences. While I know I'll fare better having gone to college than if I had not, the sheltered, "bubble" atmosphere and lessened but still present help from home can slow down one's ability to take care of themselves or others, and to be socially and morally responsible. I'm still amazed at how many students are more concerned with short lived trends and reality tv than with their own education or finding a job. I particularly like the part about academics and professors sometimes being the same way. It is interesting to see the contrast between profs. who have been in academia most of their lives giving lectures and doing research, and the ones who do the same, but come from a backround in business and industry. I can't tell if one is better than the other, but both sides can have some intersesting differences.

Lots of flooding back in the Maryland/DC area. To all my friends out there; donate some H20 to the Rocky Mountains. I've had 3 straight weeks of 90+ degree weather and sun. It is dry as a bone in Colorado. Just once I'd like to walk out into the rain and get a good, cool soaking. Help a brother out?

No comments: