Monday, January 29, 2007

24 is pissing me off

Yes, I'm man enough to admit it; 24 season 6 is greatly disappointing me. Here are a few reasons why:

1) Commercials. There's no way I can prove it, but I know that this season is crammed with way many more ads than in past seasons. I just watched the first two seasons on DVD with my dad, and I remember the commercial breaks being much farther apart. Its hard to really get into any given episode when you're getting cut off so quickly. And whatever happened to those commercial free season premieres?

2) Wayne Palmer: Our new president is definitely not his brother. David Palmer was always the man in charge, and while he used his advisers well, it wasn't easy to pull his strings. Wayne on the other hand feels so damn wooden. The man makes his speeches with no emotion, and he doesn't seem able to make any decisions unless an advisor thought of it for him. Maybe this is the way he's meant to be, but I expected the man I saw in season 5 to be a lot tougher. Instead I'll have to watch as Tom Lennox pushes him into making our nation a police state. I predict our characters get into many complications due to legislations passed within the next few hours of the show.

3) Mundane. Its looks like we're getting into a pattern where the coming attractions for next week's episode shows some juicy scenes, all of which occur in the last 5 minutes so they can tease you again. Meanwhile the rest of the episode is just boring filler. A couple of twists or surprises, nothing tense or engaging, and a whole lot of talk about nothing. Of course this is quite easy to do with such small chunks of show between the commercials.

At this rate its no wonder that Heroes is beating it out each week. Note that this is not going to make me watch that show instead; I'm a Bauer fan for life, we're just going through some tough times right now. I simply hope things get back into shape before the season's end. This is not the final season of 24 by far, but who knows if this is the start of the decline after a spectacular season 5.

No comments: