Monday, January 22, 2007

The March of Idiots

Back when I was in early high school, when I was starting to actually read the newspaper instead of skimming over the headlines, I noticed an article about communion parties, and how children partaking in the blessed Sacrament were being thrown lavish celebrations that were more carnival than sacred. The article finished the father, dancing and a little tipsy, exclaiming that sometimes he had to remember what this party was all for.

Sometime in my college years, I remember reading two other articles. One was about extraordinary cell phone bills that parents were paying because their children constantly demanded new phones and racked up insane amounts of minutes and text messages used. All these folks could say was "I don't know how I'm going to afford all of this!", instead of doing the one thing in their power; punishing kids who misused their phone and not buying new ones every six months. This was followed by the second story on the elaborate vacations and trips that high school and even middle school students are able to go on these days, some of them longer and more exotic than some people's honeymoon. Again, parents couldn't believe how much they were shelling out, this time adding that "it leaves no money for me and my wife!". Except for there would be if they would just say no, and maybe even spend some on themselves.

The march of idiocy continues. Now we can read about how expensive birthday parties are. I can't take this anymore. Parents, don't tell me it feels like a race, and you'll fail if you don't match the rest of the block. None of that competition would ever start if you all just calmed down. More important is that you wouldn't have to feel bad if you taught your child the value of things in the world and didn't constantly spoil them. They wouldn't be disappointed in a lesser party if they understood the meaning and the generosity behind what they are given. I went to plenty of b-day parties in my younger age that were far more extravagant than my own. I liked mine better because it was with my own small group of friends, and when it was at my home, we could do whatever the hell we wanted (meaning video games, swings, sports). It wasn't about spending the night at FAO Schwartz; it was about celebrating an important day with the ones closest to you. That and ice cream cake.

Its just amazing to not only see this trend, but to see that its a serious issue to some. Did it ever occur to these folks that maybe they could just stop spending and realize just how ridiculous their peers are getting? Like the article even says, these children are being picked up by limo's; some people never got that until their wedding. So either people can't see this absurdity (which is sad), or they choose not to do anything about it(almost as bad).

And hell, when did this actually happen. Ten years ago it was 1997 and I was just 12 years old. Back then the ideal birthday party was a night at the roller rink or a kickass sleepover. Somehow this has evolved into limos. Oh, and the boys are getting birthday blowjobs as well. So much change, so much stupidity in such a short amount of time. No 22 year old should feel like they're already getting old.

Damn kids.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You and me both, except it's kids my age at the forefront of this shit. But, you know, I'm an old man at heart, like you always say.

For my birthday, I got a dinner at an all-you-can-eat buffet, and homemade Tiramisu, which always makes me feel somehow rich.