Sunday, January 07, 2007

24 Season 1

The sixth season of 24 is just a week away, so in preparation I've been going backwards, watching as much of the first four seasons as possible before it begins. Tonight I finished season 1.

I'm in a pretty wierd situation with the pre season 5 shows. From playing 24 game, and from my brother, I know a lot of the spoilers, but not how they all tie together, or how they occur. Well, season 4 seems rather disconnected, so I'll enjoy that one fairly "purely". Still, I sometimes think it even more suspenseful to know a little bit of a teaser when going into a season. You can't bite your nails as much if you don't have a reason to, but when you're just waiting for something to happen, it can be pretty grueling - just the way I like it.

Season 1 was quite good, but I can already tell it won't be in the running for the very best. It wasn't as action packed on a whole as 5 was, but instead there was some good intrigue and detective work going on. My problems with it are listed as follows, and I'll give you the spoiler alert now.

- Like any new show, Season 1 wasn't produced to completion at first. The show initially had only 13 episodes ready, in case ratings were poor and Fox decided to axe it. Of course the complete opposite happened and the the rest of the story was told. The problem of course is that this still caused something of a split between the two halves of the season. Episode 13 ends by wrapping up all the minor plot points, while the major conflicts are put in a situation where should the show be canceled, viewers could easily assume that the good guys would prevail. Of course, the show didn't end there, and so the writers had to find a way to keep things going. They did this several ways. For all the closure Ep. 13 tried to bring, it also opened one major new plot point up. It ends up being quite important for the rest of the show, but if 24 had ended there, it would have been a pretty big tease. They also had to retread themselves a bit. Kim gets kidnapped again, or at least pseudo-kidnapped, and then is taken away a third time at the end. When the Palmer hit goes awry, they just send more assassins. By the last six or so episodes, the show goes into different and quite exciting territory, but the way the season transitions between its two halves is a little rocky. Sometimes it works smoothly, and other times it just feels cheap.

- I love seeing David Palmer in action, but I'm hoping to see him in some more dire situations. He's a great character thanks to a great actor, but after Season 1 you might say he's a bit of a Mary Sue. I'm not saying it was bad for season 1 - rather, it seems necessary, so as to establish how he could face the odds and become president.

- A little bummed to see that so many of the problems they faced this season was due to accidental killings. Makes you want to scream "dammit" right there with Jack.

- Count me in with the fans that find Kim very hot, but even more annoying.


All in all, its still a great setup for the rest of the saga (am I allowed to call it that?), and I'm amazed to think the show could be so high quality from seasons 1 through 5. I guess I actually have to find out if that's true first. Season 2 is coming up next.

No comments: