Monday, April 18, 2005

New music!

I rarely ever buy a music CD these days. Part of it is because I find few discs I want, part of it is becasue I've amassed a huge collection of tunes I want just by ripping CD's from friends (I can count on my fingers how many songs I've gotten from P2P networks).

One band that is the exception to the rule is Millencolin. This sweedish punk import is rather grassroots in the US, but I've fallen in love with their funky fast style since I heard them on the Tony Hawk 2 soundtrack. I got their new album Kingwood in the mail today, and while I've only given it one serious listen through, it seems promising. Most of the tunes are in the fast, lighthearted style of their older work, but the album much more focused than their past efforts. There are the usual catchy numbers, the songs that grow on you after a while, and the wild cards that you're kind of impartial to. The only problems I have are that the hard, rock-focused sound from their last album seems to be absent here, and after so many albums their strange blend of optimistic/angsty lyrics are a little too familiar.

Until I give a few more listens and really get a good feel for the tracks, I can't quite rank Kingwood, but at the very least it seems to be another solid Millencolin album. Good Show.

No comments: