Wednesday, July 06, 2005

So Barry Bonds will be back on the baseball field soon, and most likely he will break Hank Aaron's home run record. This got me thinking to something. Even if Barry goes into the books with the record, I still think that more people will think of Hank when the record is brought up. Personally, I always think of Roger Maris for most homers in a season, even if his record has been shattered. And Emmit Smith may be the NFL's leading rusher, but guess what? I always think of Walter Payton when that record is brought up, and I never saw him (or Maris, for that matter) play!

My point I guess, is that athletes aren't made like they used to be. The men I mentioned above, as well as names like Ruth, Gherig, Williams and Unitas are legends in the minds of sports fans. All good men; not perfect, but classy guys who loved the game. They played and won with pure talent, and that was it. Nowadays, we have McGuire taking andro, Barry taking steroids (and denying it more than anyone), and Emmit Smith and his entire Cowboys team were always in the headlines for drugs or arrests. Not only is their ability to fairly break these records contestable, but these guys just aren't people to look up to.

So while the players of old may have lost their records, I have a feeling that they'll all have a spot in the minds of sports fans for a long time.

In other news, Adult Swim will soon be airing Neon Genesis Evangelion, AKA the most overrated anime ever crafted. At least I have something to put me to sleep on those late weekend nights.

I'm not sure how accurate this is, but I read that the now famous Downing Street Memo is not the original version of the document. Supposedly the reporter who released it to the press destroyed the original copy in order to "protect his sources", and rewrote it himself. I can't say if this is true, and if it is, whether he changed things or copied it verbatim, but I thought those interested might want to know.

Final random thought: I was thinking of the case designs for all three next generation consoles. I remember when the PS2 came out people praised its design, since it looked like something that would look right sitting next to home entertainment equipment. Now, Nintendo has done the same thing with the Revolution's design, while Sony has made the PS3 into a convex monstrosity that won't stack at all, and people are slammnig Nintendo for making a console that looks too much "like a stack of DVDs". Do you people even know what you want?

No comments: