Monday, July 25, 2005

Soul Calibur 3

Lately there's been a huge media blitz for Soul Calibur 3. I've seen it all, heard it all, and yet I still feel worried about the quality of this sequel.

For one, look at the image that is found on every frontpage link to the game; the new female fighter who's nipples are poking through her half a shirt. Ever since Dead or Alive got big, it seems that fighting games insist on making the T and A their biggest selling point. There's nothing wrong with good looking characters of both genders in the game, but I play a fighter for the sheer fun they can be compared to other genres. I can only hope that he actual fighting gets the same attention.

That brings me to my next worry; balance. The reason I can't get into SC2 very much is not because of some crumudgeonly hatred of anything new. I simply gave up when I tried to choose any of my favorite characters not named Mitsurugi, only to find them crippled next to the new fighters. Xianghua, Kilik, Astaroth... they all pale in comparison to Raphael, Talim and Cassandra. Then there's Nightmare and Ivy, fan favorites since forever, who are even stronger than before. this just isn't necessary, especially in the case of Nightmare; the guy can juggle you in the air for five to six hits now before you can even recover. There's no reason for this kind of unbalancing. The King of Fighters series adds new, poweful faces almost every year, but Kyo Kusanagi is still Kyo Kusanagi in every game. You never see the former power houses become empty shells of their former greatness. I know Namco wants to highlight their new creations, but at the expense of the old ones? This doesn't have to be.

My only hope is the fact that it is being made as a PS2 exclusive. The original SC on Dreamcast was a huge revamping of the arcade version, and it was specifically designed for the DC hardware. If working with just one system again can bring the same magic, we just may have another classic. I suppose we'll find out eventually.

Right now is the period of summer that's not quite the end, but certainly not the beginning, yet it is also not the middle. Basically, the time where I should stop procrastinating and get certain things taken care of before it is really the last minute. I always take a week off before leaving for school, and I'm hoping to make it as peaceful as possible.

Got some reviews to write. Well, one in particular that I've been afraid to attempt, but I have to do it eventually. No its not Half Life 2; that's even tougher. But its a worthy game, believe me.

No comments: