Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The More you Know

Today was a day of life lessons. After paying my cell phone bill and shopping for groceries, it dawned on me that my bank account is at its lowest since I opened the damn thing at 16. It honestly felt a little scary, knowing that at this very minute I have only 200 bucks to my name, no line of credit, and not a clue as to when the next big expense may come around (as in a real expenses; entertainment and beer will continue to be a no-go for a while).

Yet in all honesty, I shouldn't be worrying at all. Tomorrow my folks will be depositing some money to pay me back for old groceries and medicine, and even half of a the parking permit fee I payed almost a year ago. This friday should see a new paycheck (its been a while), and my April Tax return is going to be rather significant after getting nothing back last year. In short, if I stay frugal until Easter time I should be back to where I was at the start of the semester.

This of course made me realize that, while I do pay for a lot of things that most college kids don't worry about, I'm still incredibly fortunate to still have the support of my family for things like food and extra large Loyola College bills. In only a little over a year I'll be out on my own, feeding myself and writing even more checks to people. Of course, I'll also have a full time job, but today made me realize even more that eventually the bills will come faster and harder, and hard work and wise spending will be critical to get through it all.

So I guess the lesson learned is "don't slack off in college. A little bit of laziness now can lead to a lot of scraping by in the future."

PS - a lot of people ask why I hate most Square games. I need only point you to this to find out why.

No comments: