Monday, October 10, 2005

Bad AIM

So as of today I am starting a little experiment. For the rest of this week I will not be logging on to AOL Instant Messenger. At all. I am going to see how such a change affets my work and study habits.

There are a lot of reasons as to why I'm doing this. I feel that I often spend too much time just checking to see whether people are online or not. If I get into a conversation with someone, it lead into conversations with many, and then I often find myself losing huge amounts of time that I should have spent working on something else.

Also, I am getting sick of how serious people take AIM. Instant Messaging, by its very nature, is stream of consciousness (and if you actually take time to carefully think out your messages, I think you're using the wrong form of communication). People will mess up on AIM, it just happens, yet the person on the other end always takes it so darn personally no matter what it is (and by saying this, I'm in no way excluding myself from being guilty of it). I'm tired of being chastised because I forgot an away message... if I dont' respond, I'm not there. I don't see how that is hard to deduce. I'm tired of being told to update my profile. Something that only excepts a few hundred letters is not something I'm going to utilize to describe myself.

Despite all that I've said, I'm not going to be leaving instant messaging completely for the week, just AIM. If you want to get in touch with me, you're going to have to use Google Talk(contact taidan19), a program which I prefer to AIM due to being far simpler, cleaner and lighter. and if you need a Gmail address to use Gtalk, I can take care of that too.

2 comments:

christian wolfe said...

What?... I thought I got rid of you stupid spam bots. Now I'm really a sad clown...

christian wolfe said...

Yeah, I'm thinking that first comment snuck in before I enabled the verification feature (which I switched on after finishing the post). I'm making a new post tonight, so we'll see what happens. If I still get it, then I don't know how it gets past the recognition software without doing a brute force of possible verification words.

As to that fake blog, I'm guessing its using some poor document-writing software to make random looking content that might be found in a blog, though full of typos. Still, I'm curious as to how it actually works.