Thursday, October 20, 2005

THAW ing it up

So the reviews for Tony Hawk's American Wasteland are out, and the general consensus seems to be "the series is getting old, but this is still better than the two Underground games that preceded it." For one, this makes me feel better, since I had a bad feeling about the Underground duology and thus never played them. However, I also wonder why, if American Wasteland is so much better, both Undergrounds scored in the upper 9.0 range on most every review site. This isn't the first time I've seen reviews mention dissapointment with an old game that received fabulous scores. Perhaps we should haev a month waiting period so the hype cools down and games can be rated for what they're worth. I know that sounds ridiculous, but it also seems to be the only way.

I just read an article in USA Today about how the gender gap in colleges is continuing to grow, with women becoming the clear majority on college campuses. I won't go too far into my views on gender equality, but I will say that a generation of poorly educated and unprepared men would be harmful for everyone. Whether it be today or 100 years ago, it seems that the world can only give attention to one gender. Does it really have to be that way?

1 comment:

christian wolfe said...

Since when did anyone use "women's right to choose" for anything other than abortion. I don't quite get what you're trying to say.