Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Beyond Blog and Evil

So the AIM Strike contniues, and so far its been interesting. I certainly seem to focus a lot more on my work and/or leisure, though I am sure quite a few people are wondering where I am (though since all those people are on campus they can easily find me or call me if they choose).

I don't know how one gets the credentials for becoming an analyst, but considering what has come out of their mouths recently I'm willing to bet that even Loyola's business majors would be over qualified. First they predict the Nintendo Revolution won't push past a million units after a year (even if it doens't catch on, the Nintendo fanbase can rack up a million in 12 months...), and now they reportthis. It's not like PC gaming has never been declared dead before, I just don't see how they can keep saying it when history proves them wrong time and again.

Tonight I finished Beyond Good and Evil (the game, not the book). Expect a review soon. In terms of quality, I'd rank it as better than average, but not on the levels of Zelda or Metroid in the action/adventure genre. Yet it got me thinking about a lot of things, far more than a lot of games lately.

The next title I'll be taking a crack at is the ps2 cult classic Ico. This is a rather interesting time to be playing this game, as its spiritual successor Shadow of the Colossus is almost ready for release.

That reminds me; there's a lot of good stuff coming out. Other than Shadow, there is the Gamecube Fire Emblem, Serious Sam 2, Call of Duty 2, and yes, Soul Calibur 3. Good thing I finally have a Blockbuster video close by, though some of these may end up being purchases. I hope some checks start rolling in from work...

So it seems that UNICEF has made a commercial in which the Smurfs get carpet bombed to death. You can find it online if you look hard enough (the link I saw it through seems to be dead now). I don't know what to think of it: they're trying to make a point, but the events in the ad happen so fast that it didn't really phase me, and I used to love the Smurfs as a kid. In fact, I think I actually laughed at the ad because of the cheesy special effects it used. And thus, the anti-Goldwater ad with the girl in field and the nuke is still my vote for most shocking ad I've seen.

This weekend is my school's fall "break", aka a three day weekend. That means that half the campus will be heading home, even though home is 5 or more hours away. I've never seen why so many people do this just because there's one more day off. At most it nets you an extra half day when you throw in traveling. Then again, if you don't have classes on Monday, or just skip them, then the break becomes much more significant. As for me, I'll be spending it catching up on as much work as I can. I'm on a roll so far with my grades, and I can't let it stop.

2 comments:

christian wolfe said...

Well Spruce, Gamespot gave Sam 2 a 6.9, citing that they felt is wasn't as frantic and exciting as the original, as if something was lost in translation. I still think I'll pick it up, if for no other reason than its the cheapest of all the games I want right now.

christian wolfe said...

You shouldn't trust gamespot. Only my word is law... :p