Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Beatdown

I had two exams in a row today. One was in Economics, a class in which the lectures are the simple, paint by numbers style of a business course, but the exams include rather rigirous multiple choice. Suffice to say that I underestimated the difficulty of the previous test, and learned an important lesson about treating each and every class you take with the utmost seriousness. I made sure not to make the same mistake this time around, and I hope the results will reflect it.

The other midterm was in Programming Languages, a challenging couse taught by the most challenging professor in the CS department. I would probably rate my comfort with the exam as "solid", assuming we exclude the one question that I did not answer. Then again, to my knowledge no one else answered the question either, which I suppose is a good thing for us all considering the situation. Unless my knowledge is incomplete, in which case curve breakers will be flogged.

It'll be back to work for me toinight however, but I might as well take a little bit of time to recoup, and provide some fresh brewed links:

The newest PS3 rumor is that the console will be DRM'ed, so that any games you buy are authenticated for your machine only, thus eliminating rentals, trading and the sale of used games. I don't really belive it will happen; I know Sony has been in the headlines lately about their DRM schemes, but such a strict policy would ruin their market. Is it possible PS3 games will use some form of DRM? At this point it seems a guarantee. But it can't be anything that drastic... its just suicide to think of it.

Talking about how awesome pirates are is all fun and games until some of them try to kill you on a cruise ship. This is just another reason for me to prefer ninjas; they wouldn't waste their skills on innocent people. They have death matches to fulfill....

As a rule of thumb, I absolutely hate tooting my own horn, or even giving the appearence of doing so. But the following comments made by Warren Spector about Rockstar games and the industry as a whole are almost to the T the exact same things I said in a debate I had this summer with two of my best friends (who are also the most hardcore gamers I know). It is pretty amazing to see something I said about the industry being repeated by such a gaming legend. Maybe, just maybe, my crazy comments aren't so crazy after all.

No comments: