Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Dragon Quest 8

When you walk into Gamestop, and the clerk tells you there are two remaining copies of Dragon Quest 8, and no, you don't need a pre-order to buy one, you grab it and never look back. That's what I did tonight during a quick trip to the store.

I really didn't need this game. I've plenty of non gaming things to do, and plenty of stuff to already play. But I don't regret the purchase in the slightest. It was one of those cases where I felt it was my duty as a gamer. When I bought Shadow of the Colossus, I said to myself "This is the kind of game I want to see more of. I need to give these people my full support now, not when its super rare and/or super cheap." With Dragon Quest I said to myself "This is the type of RPG I want to see more of out of Square-Enix, rather than angsty Final Fantasy and silly slop like Romancing saga and Radiata Stories. This game needs my support." And so there you have it. I sincerely hope that DQ 8 succeeds in the states (the whole bundle the FF12 demo with it will certainly help along those lines). All the reviews state that while the game has no innovation, it takes the classic trappings of RPG's and makes them fun again. And since I don't see the RPG genre becoming fresh anytime soon, I'll certainly settle for fun.

No comments: