Friday, November 25, 2005

Wax on

Of all days of they year, Thanksgiving should be the very last one in which I feel hungry at 11:00 at night. Yet that is just what happened to me yesterday night. Family Thanksgiving always involves a very large amount of people, making it physically difficult to actually put food on one's plate. I've developed a system over the years that works rather well for firsts, but seconds are still out of the question, so fast are the leftovers removed and stored away. I might have been saved by the traditional midnight turkey sandwhich, but the severity of the local roads after some bad snow caused us to leave early.

No candy on Halloween, not stuffed on Thanksgiving, and now I can't think of anything I want for Christmas. Man I'm really screwing up the holidays.

I have a lot of writing to do today, hopefully this post will get the juices flowing. I spoke to someone last night about how I've been frustrated with any and all writing assignements this semester. This despite having only two major writing assignments so far, and getting grades of an A- and a B respectively. Why am I worrying so much when I'm not even doing C work? I guess its the fact that I still look at everything I type as being pure crap, and that I never have/give myself enough time to complete assignments. Thus every time I hand something in I feel as if this is the one, the bomb that will do my in. If I just did them, turned them in and forgot about it, I'd probably do well enough for myself, probably continue to get A-'s and B's (respectively). But for some reason I enjoy this stuff too much to just say "you're a CS major, you're not supposed to write well." and be done with it. There's something ticking in the back of my mind that keeps saying "you can do better, keep trying." with every page I type. I haven't learned to ignore that yet, and I don't know if I ever will. Is that a bad thing?

A nation of college students mourn over the passing of Mr. Miyagi, and I mourn over the silliness of Black Friday. Doesn't everyone realize that the hottest gift, the Xbox 360, is already sold out? Whatever else might be on sale, I doubt there is a need to trample over people to get to it. And besides, the best sales always come the week before Christmas. Its one of the few reasons I can take pride in being a procrastinator.

My brother spent eight hours one day fixing my grandmother's computer. His reward? A shiny new iPod Nano. And to think I did that shit for free during freshman year. But back to the iPod; this has been the first time I have really got to sit down and play with one. Kinda sad that the only person who has ever trusted me with such a device is my own flesh and blood. I never understood all the hype around these little pieces of hardware, but when I held it and felt the cool factor around me increase, I finally understood. Still too rich for my blood, but my previous idea of buying a non-iPod music device to be "different" from the rest has been effectively shot to shit.

Oh, and the iPod came with Apple stickers, which my brother has slapped on his Dell. It really is like a cult of sorts. Then again, what isn't these days?

No comments: